[mythtv-users] Obama Recommends Delay in Digital TV Switch

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun Jan 11 23:57:44 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> Jeff Walther wrote:
>

>> Do you think they would be amenable to a call or email?  The thing I have
>> not done, which seems kind of obvious is to contact them and ask, "Hey, is
>> this problem at your end or my end?"
>>

> They would almost certainly welcome your input and questions. We
> certainly always did, and in some cases we actually sent an engineer to
> the home of people with reception problems.
>
> Of course you want to immediately make it clear that you are a rational
> and polite viewer. You wouldn't believe some of the "complaints" we
> received, the usual ones being "why do you jack up the sound during
> commercials?" (we didn't) or "why do you send all the signal to the rich
> neighborhoods?" (obviously silly).

OK, I have to ask.  Now while I agree that sending "all the signal to
the rich neighborhoods" is silly, there certainly appears to be
occasions when commercials are much louder than the programming.  Our
local Fox affiliate comes to mind as a broadcast that seems to be this
way, especially during prime time.  So if audio levels aren't
intentionally manipulated by some, what other things may cause this
apparent behavior?

Cheers,

Drew

--