[mythtv-users] backends without tuners (was Re: Transcoding is being done on frontends, not backend)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 10 02:08:54 UTC 2009

On 01/09/2009 07:07 PM, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:29:49PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> the only mention of mythjobqueue in the manual is a few paragraphs
>>> at section 23.25 - there's no mention anywhere in the manual that
>>> tunerless backends are unsupported, or that mythjobqueue should be
>>> used instead of mythbackend if no tuners are installed.
>>>
>> Note that if you run mythbackend on a host without any configured
>> capture cards, all the parts of mythbackend that are not included
>> in mythjobqueue are disabled--meaning you're basically running
>> mythjobqueue + cruft.  "What cruft?" you may ask.
> good.  so that means it works fine, just wastes memory?

For the record, I never promised that it would or would not work fine.
I simply said that without capture cards, a large part of mythbackend is
disabled.

>> Yeah, I realize that 256MiB of RAM isn't too expensive today, but why
>> fill it up with garbage you're not using?  Why not use it for something
>> useful, like the kernel buffers/cache--or preventing mythtranscode or
>> mythcommflag from hitting swap or ...

> so, 256M may be a high price to pay for those three features but, for
> now, it's a price i'm willing to pay.

No, the price isn't 256MiB, the price is 256MiB + an untested and
unsupported configuration.

>  even though i've essentially
> finished the job, i'm abandoning my effort to modify the init.d script
> to support either mythbackend or mythjobqueue because mythjobqueue
> is an inadequate substitute for mythbackend. it seems like a hasty
> after-thought rather than a fully-functional replacement.

Which does not make it a supported configuration.  If you're really that
concerned about the lack of --daemon and --pidfile and --logfile and you
can't figure out how to write the script to run it as a daemon, all you
need to do is take the (small amount of) code from mythbackend that
handles these options as an example (a /very/ good, easy to
follow/duplicate example) and make a patch to add them to mythjobqueue.

Mike