[mythtv-users] Slow deletes were causing backend to hang and/or cause seg faults

Kenan Ezal SBMythTV at cox.net
Fri Jan 9 08:02:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 16:43 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/08/2009 03:13 PM, Kenan Ezal wrote:
> > Michael Dean:
> >> That + http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2 (use the debug
> >> package rather than rebuilding with --compile-type=debug) would be
> >> /very/ helpful and say exactly where the crash is occurring.
> > I've posted the gdb output under the developers list:
> >
> > http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2009-January/064156.html
> >
> > There are still quite a few unknown symbols so I hope I did everything
> > correctly.
>
> Yeah, it looks like a good backtrace.  The unknown symbols are in
> non-Myth libs.  I haven't gotten a chance to look through it, yet, but
> someone should before long.
>
> I noticed that you interrupted it (presumably when it seemed to lock
> up)--you didn't actually get a segfault.  Was the processor maxed out
> (or relatively idle) when you interrupted it?

Yes, I hit Control-C as soon as the backend/frontend was non-responsive.
I didn't actually check the CPU load, but my guess would be relatively
idle. I'll check next time I do it.

> Any chance you could run with debug symbols for a while longer to try to
> catch a segfault?

Sure. I still have the debug package installed. I just have to turn slow
deletes back on. Unfortunately, it doesn't always result in a seg fault.
I am puzzled, however, because yesterday afternoon I deleted four shows
that I had recorded for this purpose (but that I didn't watch) and
nothing happened. Last night I watched two shows and deleted each one
and both times it crapped out. I only sent the first backtrace but I
have the second one as well.

> Thanks for taking the time to get the backtrace.
>
> Mike

No problem. I wish I could help more but I haven't done too much coding
lately. Seems like I'm just pushing paper around these days.

-Kenan