[mythtv-users] Fans, or cooling video cards

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jan 8 16:14:14 UTC 2009

Peter Loron wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2009, at 1:39 AM, Ian Clark wrote:
>
>> 2009/1/8 Peter Loron <peterl at standingwave.org>:
>>> On Jan 7, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I don't know what your case situation is, but if you have the space, I
>>> highly recommend the Antec P180 tower. It's an awesome case...very well
>>> built and thought-out. Lots of room, and very well ventilated.
>>> -Pete
>>
>> I'd second this, although the P182 is ever so slightly better. (It has
>> slightly better internal cable routing options that really do make a
>> bit of difference. Also, for the crazys it's got gromits for water
>> cooling tubing too. :) )
>>
>> My P182 with the PVR in (2HDs, dual core Athlon X2) is virtually
>> silent. Absolutly fantastic case.
>
> Both of the P180 cases I have (fairly recent) have the grommets for
> water cooling lines.
>
> Being able to route the power (and other) cables around the back side of
> the motherboard is great.

This http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99417 is not water cooled, but
it doesn't have to be. I got this after my first overheating disaster. It's got
room for up to *nine* 5.25" front-accessable drives (4 x 3.5" adaptors
provided), the slot covers are mesh, and that's a 250mm / 10" propeller in the
side, positioned directly over my three DVB-T cards. I had to take the lights
out of the fan in the front, and move the fan to the back panel, since it lit up
the whole upstairs of the house at night ;) and I had to tape over the blue LED
searchlight they used for a power indicator, but otherwise, it's just the job.
It's an iCute case, they make a number of similar models.

--

Mike Perkins