[mythtv-users] Dual port tuner card or USB adapter?

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:29:10 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm putting together a MythTV box for my dad. I'm using an Athlon 2500
processor based system, its one of our old windows PC's which I have
since replaced.
So it's not the fastest system but I don't want to go to the expense
of a new mobo/processor if I can get away with it.

He likes the idea of being able to record two channels at once.

In my Myth box I have a pair of Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T digital
terrestrial pci cards. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative
than these?
I'm kind of inclined to stick with what I know but just wanted to be
sure I'm not missing anything?

I realise the USB tuner sticks work with Mythtv/Linux/Ubuntu but I'm
wondering if they will likely be more of a bottleneck or put more load
on the processor than the PC I cards?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike