[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 17:10:16 UTC 2009

2009/1/7 Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>:
> Steve Daniels wrote:
>>> Valgrind ran bu the load of mythbackend *AND** valgrind was too much.
>>> I wrote about that.
>>> How can a distro help here?
>>> Or does valgrind need much optimisation when building it?
>>
>> I remember now, sorry about that, a lighter weight setup might help
>> but it'd likely take too long to get it running. Consider moving the
>> entire setup to the more powerful machine and using the EN12000 as
>> your desktop for a short while?
>
> Not so possible.
> I didn't build a Phenom setup with 4G and 4-drive raid5 to waste watts
> while my desktop crawls?

Ok, this is where I fall off my seat and stop being reasonable. You've
got the money to do that, but don't want to "waste" your own time and
money debugging you current memory leak issues but you want others to
spend their own time and money doing it. That is simply disrespectful
and insulting to anyone.

>>> OK, so how do I do that without moving the DVB card?
>>
>> Same way anyone else would, buy another one :-)
>
> 80 euro? I spent less on the multirec feature.
>
>> Both of these suggestions require investment of either or both of two
>> resources, your time and/or money. (Or someone elses, but no one else
>> seems driven enough by the problems so it seems it's up to you :-)
>
> Hmmm. If only I could get a virtual tuner (or virtual signal) I could
> virtualbox the whole thing.

I've just told you that you could try and see if the memory leak is
still present with the IPTV recorder. If your willing to buy another
cheap DVB tuner there are virtualisation solutions that allow you to
pass-through the PCI and/or USB devices to the guest OS.

Good luck.

> Udo

Good bye.

Steve Daniels