[mythtv-users] Australian components

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Wed Jan 7 06:02:55 UTC 2009

> ssd storage has a limited number of write times prior to failure. Not
> sure how this would be impacted in a PVR type environment with
> frequent overwriting of large areas of the disk (continual
> timeshifting).
>
> I am sure this will be overcome at some stage though....

The SSD would only be used in a "diskless" frontend, for storing the OS and
software, I think. They just don't have the capacity for storing recordings
on. A typical SSD should last for *years* in a frontend-only machine, which
is largely read-only (you can put your /var/logs onto a RAM disk to save
even more writes).

Dean.