[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existing Recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 6 22:56:04 UTC 2009

On 01/06/2009 04:19 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> One of the great advantages of xfs is that the extent size can be set
> independent of the block size. An extent is the size of the chunk of
> space the file system reserves whenever the OS asks for space. For our
> files, chunks of 256M or .5Gig are reasonable sizes. This helps with
> deletion and decreases fragmentation. Your average one hour standard def
> analog recording is seen by the OS and handled as 5 one-half gig chunks
> of contiguous space.

And, another way to decrease fragmentation is to have as many or more
filesystems than tuners.  The storage groups code does a great job of
spreading out the recordings to different filesystems.  And, if you have
separate filesystems on each drive, you also avoid causing tons of
seeking (since you're writing in only one location per hard drive).

Mike