[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existing Recordings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 6 21:19:15 UTC 2009

Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
>> <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How do you copy it? a simple "cp -a " won't get the boot stuff will it?
>> Moving a boot disk is a whole 'nother matter.  I wouldn't do that.   For
>> example:
>>
>> If your videos are in /var/mythtv, then:
>>
>> 1.  Mount new drive in a temp location like /mnt/newdrive.
>> 2.  Move (mv) all your files from /var/mythtv to /mnt/newdrive
>> 3.  Unmount /mnt/newdrive
>> 4.  Mount your new drive in /var/mythtv (which is now an empty folder)
>> 5.  Done
>>
>> Your "root" disk now has free space you can use however you want and your
>> new drive is taking the place of /var/mythtv
>>
>> Kevin
>
> To add to Kevin's list:
>
> 4a. Mount it manually and run myth to confirm it works.
> 4b. Edit /etc/fstab to make it permanent. I would recommend
> discovering the UUID[1] of the drive for mounting. That way if you
> move things around or upgrade the MB and your drives get detected
> another way (swapping of /dev/sda and sdb) things will still get
> mounted properly.

One of the great advantages of xfs is that the extent size can be set
independent of the block size. An extent is the size of the chunk of
space the file system reserves whenever the OS asks for space. For our
files, chunks of 256M or .5Gig are reasonable sizes. This helps with
deletion and decreases fragmentation. Your average one hour standard def
analog recording is seen by the OS and handled as 5 one-half gig chunks
of contiguous space.

More info   here:
http://freon.chem.swin.edu.au/library/SGI_bookshelves/SGI_Admin/books/IA_DiskFiles/sgi_html/ch06.html

The create line you are looking for is like this:

# mkfs -r extsize=256M /dev/sdd1

IIRC, there is an 'alloc=xxx' entry for fstab which does the same thing.

Geoff