[mythtv-users] xfce4 mythfrontend autostart

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:54:07 UTC 2009

2008/12/31 Ben Coleman <arrikhan_mail at yahoo.com.au>:
> Does this setup avoid showing the desktop loadup then starting mythfrontend?

[snip autologin]

> It would be nicer to make this more look like a 'blackbox'.

I rund it all from the  .xsession file in my user dir, which seems to
avoid starting the window manager. (Ubuntu 8.04, set to autologon the
user I use for myth.)

This just shows a cursor for a while, against the teal background of
Ubuntu, no desktop, no wallpaper, nothing other than a mouse cursor
until mythwelcome/frontend start.

My .xsession:

ian at pvr:~$ cat .xsession
#!/bin/bash

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/mythtv/lib
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mythtv/bin

smbnetfs /home/ian/myth/network/
irexec -d
/home/ian/bin/mythwatch.sh &
/usr/local/mythtv/bin/mythwelcome > /home/ian/mythwelcome.log

Mythwatch is a small script that does a 'reboot' if the backend dies.

I've never had any problems with loosing focus, but have only briefly
used mplayer, I have an XBox running XBMC for most of my network
browsing needs.

Ian