[mythtv-users] Sound problem

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 6 03:47:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Ceesjan van Hattum <hattum at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Within MythTV frontend, the Music is playing just fine !
> Within MythTV frontend, the Play DVD makes cracky noise.
> Within MythTV frontend, the 'Watch TV' does not make any sound (mute=off, volume=max)
> Using the setup with Alsa defaults etc, is just a setting for all of them... isn't it...

In the general setup menu there are settings for enabling AC3 and DTS
pass-through over the SPDIF port.  Generally, music will be unaffected
by this, but DVD playback and digitally captured (firewire/HDHR/etc)
TV recordings may have such tracks.

Do you have these settings enabled?  Are you using a digital audio output?

I've also had some problems with cracky noise from the internal DVD
player when I have DTS or AC3 passthrough enabled, even though xine
and vlc seem to support this just fine using the same DVDs.

Eric Sharkey