[mythtv-users] Australian components

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 01:20:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:46:53 am Phil Wild wrote:
> > Its USA only. Will never be available here. Not compatible with DVB-T I
> > believe.
>
> Stay Tuned
> As we return from CES next week - we will be working our priorities to
> firming up distribution of our new DVB-T version product
> thanks
> TED

That's excellent news! Have to keep an eye on that.

> > Get NVidia! ATI will give you endless grief. Get a motherboard with a
> > GF8200 or better and a HDMI out, should be able to get one for around
> > $100.
>
> Thanks... I have been researching motherboards that people have
> mentioned on the mailing list but have been having a hard time finding
> an Australian supplier of the boards using google. I don't want to get
> anything too new or too old...

Whereabouts do you live? Umart is an excellent source for cheap good hardware
here in Brisbane:

e.g this should be a good MB:
  http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=105&bid=2&sid=35589
the M3N-H-HDMI with a Onboard GF8300

> > The 8200+ range support VDPAU - Nvidia's new linux HD PureVideo spec and
> > mythtv will support that on its next release. Its brilliant - 1080p
> > playback at less than 10% CPU.
>
> I have been reading about this and it sounds good. A lot of the
> discussion seems to be around H264 and that does not really apply to
> us in Australia so I was looking for something good for MPEG2. Is my
> reasoning right here?

Yes, though VDPAU supports MPEG2 as well. And if you play downloaded videos
you probably will run into H.264 eventually.

> > Antec do a great line of quiet cases, I have a NSK2480b, looks great
> > *very* quiet. But if you want quite you need to pay attention to the
> > power supply and the hard disk as well. the NSK2480 comes with its own
> > (quiet) PSU.
>
> I will look at this

I should have said the NSK2480 is not particularly slimline :) its a std media
center width, but quite high, twice the height of a std DVD player. But you'll
find that with most media centers. It does look very good, fits in well.

Doing a slimline (half height) case that and quiet and cool is pretty hard - I
doubt you could do it on a budget, unless you were considering something like
a diskless frontend and a separate backend.

Cheers,

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home