[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and static network

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Jan 3 21:31:02 UTC 2009

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 08:10 -0800, scram69 wrote:
>
>> I am running dhcpd on my backend.  The problem with dhcpd, however, is
>> that it does not, will not, can not, assign an address to the HDHR
>> until after mythbackend has started.
>
> Sounds like you just need to change the order in which services are
> started. How to do that depends on what distro you are running, but most
> of them allow you to set the order of startup, so that you could have
> dhcpd start before mythbackend. You might also need to have a sleep
> command in the mythbackend script, to delay startup just long enough for
> the HDHR to complete it's DHCP negotiation.

Once you've changed the startup order, I would suggest something like
this near the top of your mythbackend startup script:

while ( ! ping -c 1 192.168.10.57 ) ; do sleep 5 ; done

Replace 192.168.10.57 with the IP you're assigning to your HDHR, of course.

Obviously for this to work your mythbackend startup script needs to run
after dhcpd is launched, otherwise it will never complete.