[mythtv-users] Post transition frequency changes

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat Jan 3 14:32:52 UTC 2009

David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> So as I'm sure everyone in the US is aware of by now, on Feb 17 we're
> all digital. However, what I haven't seen publicized at all is what
> we're supposed to do with DTV stations that are moving frequencies
> post transition. I have about 4 DTV channels that are moving
> frequencies in my market that I record from with the HDHomeRun.
>
> I presume that I will need to rescan and hope I still get my channels
> right? Or is there something built into the the ATSC spec that is
> supposed to essentially do a HTTP 301 redirect telling my tuner where
> to look for the new channel?

You'll need to rescan.

You should go to a site like tvfool.com or avsforum.com to figure out if
any of your stations are moving from UHF to VHF or vice versa
post-transition.  If so, you need to make sure you have a UHF/VHF
antenna.  Most antennas - especially small indoor ones - are UHF only,
and are either incapable of picking up the VHF signals, or at least not
very good at it.