[mythtv-users] Post transition frequency changes

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Fri Jan 2 22:17:48 UTC 2009

David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> So as I'm sure everyone in the US is aware of by now, on Feb 17 we're
> all digital. However, what I haven't seen publicized at all is what
> we're supposed to do with DTV stations that are moving frequencies
> post transition. I have about 4 DTV channels that are moving
> frequencies in my market that I record from with the HDHomeRun.
>
> I presume that I will need to rescan and hope I still get my channels
> right? Or is there something built into the the ATSC spec that is
> supposed to essentially do a HTTP 301 redirect telling my tuner where
> to look for the new channel?

I'm no expert on the ATSC spec, but to do what you are suggesting, they
would need to constantly broadcast signal on their previous channel, which
is highly improbable.

My guess is you'll need to rescan.  If they are going to move from one
carrier frequency to another, you'll still find them, just at a different
carrier.

The only thing I've noticed in ATSC is the ability to send a channel "mask"
along with the signal.

Brian