[mythtv-users] KWorld ATSC-115 problems -- can't change channel, no sound

David Lonie loniedavid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 22:15:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Alan McEndoo <alan.mcendoo at att.net> wrote:
> It seems like you have had a busy (and productive) day!

Indeed! The analog is (almost) flawless, except for an audio issue on
one of my frontends. Thank you and everyone else who has been helping
me get this card running :)

> In answer to some
> of your questions, Mythtv has always treated my KWorld 115 digital card as
> an Air2PC v2, but it seems to work OK.

Good to know. I'm still unable to tune any digital channels, with or
without myth, which leads me to my next question...

> With the patched drivers, the top
> connector on the KWorld card is the analog tuner.

Same here. Which one are you using for digital (QAM, not ATSC)? It
seems obvious that it should be the one not used for analog, but I've
seen reports where certain drivers used only one input for NTSC, ATSC,
and QAM. Considering all the variables in tuning QAM, knowing for sure
which input the drivers are looking at will knock out half of the
dozens of possibilities to empirically test :)

> I did find that I got
> stuttering video and high pitched "squeaky" audio, which I cured by reducing
> the quality of the audio in the recording profiles.

Heh, this card is quite aggravating at times -- I removed the audio
sampling rate limit and one point and the sound started working (but
high pitched and studdery), then I added it back and it works perfect
now.

> I had thought that it
> was because I am uding a 2.4 GHz Celeron, which is not a very powerful
> system.

I'm running a 1.8 GHz Sempron with a gig of RAM with no major
problems. The system serves svn, http, ftp, and mpd in addition to
myth -- It doesn't seem like you should be having any problems with
the 2.4 GHz processor. Hmm.

> Watching analog LiveTV uses about 80+% CPU, and on the digital
> side, when viewing a HD channel the CPU is maxed out and Mythtv occasionally
> crashes.  A digital SD channel is OK.

Yikes

> You might want to look at this tread,
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=643415&highlight=KWorld+115.  It
> mentions a new feature in MythTV trunk that allows the KWorld to be
> recognized as one card with two souces rather than two cards which can cause
> recording problems.  Since I don't use trunk I have never pursued it.

I'll looking into that. I just updated my trunk from a pre-qt4
revision yesterday. It's good to be caught up on bug fixes again!

Thanks,
Dave