[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and static network

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 2 17:53:02 UTC 2009

On Friday 02 January 2009 10:49:17 Greg Woods wrote:
> The more I read this thread, the more convinced I am that it would be
> easier to just set up a DHCP server. It's not rocket science. If you
> don't have a router or wireless access point that can already do this,
> it wouldn't be that hard to install and run dhcpd on your Myth box. That
> would certainly be easier than trying to figure out how to properly
> configure the 169.254 addresses, or using a second NIC just to avoid
> setting up a DHCP server.

I agree. DHCP is very simple to set up, and it won't cause any problems for
machines that don't use it.

Just make sure you don't have multiple DHCP servers running on the same
network.

I prefer running a "real" DHCP server as opposed to one in a router or access
point - The embedded ones are just too limited, for example you can't pass
a "next server" parameter with most router dhcp servers.
--
beww
beww at beww.org