[mythtv-users] Custom channel ordering ?

David M Brooke dmb.mythtv-users at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 2 09:01:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 21:46 +0000, Duncan Brown wrote:

> One way around it would be to get them how you want and then write a bit
> of mysql to change it back after a rescan.
>
> I'd tell you how but my sql-fu is poor, and its something I've been
> wanting to do myself for a long time

That's how I do it, and also how I populate the XMLTVID strings for the
listings grabber / mythfilldatabase to match against.

Create a text file called e.g. "update-channel.sql".

Add one line per channel you want to update, something like:
   update channel set xmltvid='channel4.com',channum='4' where
name='Channel 4';

Run this file against the database:
   $ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg < update-channel.sql
[Enter mythtv's MySQL password when prompted; "mythtv" by default]

Make sure the channel "name" matches what the channel scanner reports
and that the "xmltvid" matches what the XMLTV listings grabber wants.

dMb