[mythtv-users] Spinning down drives in a RAID 1

Owen B. Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Fri Jan 2 02:22:36 UTC 2009

I have Myth running on a Debian system with one massive bootable RAID
1 filesystem for everything. I'm using two 700G SATA drives, and they
run quite hot. I don't actually record live TV from this system, it's
just an MP3 and AVI video player which sits idle for most of the day.
It seems like if I were to spin down the drives when they're idle, I
could save power and prolong their life at the same time.

I've read this page on the MythTV wiki: http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Spindown_drives
   It doesn't mention RAID though. Are there any pitfalls to trying to
implement this on my RAID 1 system, or can I just treat it like a pair
of disks and go for it?