[mythtv-users] Custom channel ordering ?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Jan 2 00:15:00 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> says:
> If it's not already in the list, can I make a feature request to add
> user-specified sort order to channels ?

As previously stated, channel numbers are only cosmetic from MythTV's
scheduler's perspective. You can change them to whatever you wish.

Callsigns are used by the scheduler to identify channels that are
identical in terms of programming and video quality. They can also be
changed to whatever you wish; here in the US where we use
SchedulesDirect, mythfilldatabase uses only the XMLID to identify the
lineup to retrieve for a given channel, not callsigns or anything
else.

Here in San Francisco, for example, most of the HD channels I get off
the air are duplicated on my cable system. By making sure their
callsigns match, the scheduler can intelligently use all available
tuners to record as much as possible
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/216512#216512>).

Note I said "callsigns match," not "callsigns and channel numbers
match."  Program Guide automatically collapses into one line all
channels that match *both* callsigns and numbers. In my case, I have
manually set over-the-air channels' channel numbers to the 1000 block
(just added 1000 to the stock channel numbers), so that there is no
overlap whatsoever between any over-the-air and cable channels'
numbers. This way, in Live TV I can manually input a specific
channel's number and jump to it immediately, regardless of what tuner
I'm on.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array