[mythtv-users] Custom channel ordering ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 2 01:36:47 UTC 2009

On 01/01/2009 07:15 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Simon Hobson says:
>
>> If it's not already in the list, can I make a feature request to add
>> user-specified sort order to channels ?
>>
> As previously stated, channel numbers are only cosmetic from MythTV's
> scheduler's perspective. You can change them to whatever you wish.
>
> Callsigns are used by the scheduler to identify channels that are
> identical in terms of programming and video quality. They can also be
> changed to whatever you wish; here in the US where we use
> SchedulesDirect, mythfilldatabase uses only the XMLID to identify the
> lineup to retrieve for a given channel, not callsigns or anything
> else.
>
> Here in San Francisco, for example, most of the HD channels I get off
> the air are duplicated on my cable system. By making sure their
> callsigns match, the scheduler can intelligently use all available
> tuners to record as much as possible
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/216512#216512>).
>
> Note I said "callsigns match," not "callsigns and channel numbers
> match."  Program Guide automatically collapses into one line all
> channels that match *both* callsigns and numbers. In my case, I have
> manually set over-the-air channels' channel numbers to the 1000 block
> (just added 1000 to the stock channel numbers), so that there is no
> overlap whatsoever between any over-the-air and cable channels'
> numbers. This way, in Live TV I can manually input a specific
> channel's number and jump to it immediately, regardless of what tuner
> I'm on.

Where that last part, "in Live TV I can manually input a specific
channel's number and jump to it immediately, regardless of what tuner
I'm on," is really the only purpose of channel numbers in MythTV--to
provide a means to tell LiveTV which channel to watch.

Good description of the other related issues, too, Yeechang.

Mike