[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 15:55:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I used the term "pirates" in the context of peoples
>>> perceptions...however jumping through hoops to circumvent the actions
>>> of the sites owners in order to violate the sites terms of use of
>>> certainly isn't a whole lot better.
>>
>> From U.S. Title 17 Chapter 12:
>>
>> (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (b), a
>> person may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a
>> technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a
>> technological measure, in order to enable the identification and
>> analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling
>> interoperability of an independently created computer program with
>> other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such
>> interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute
>> infringement under this title.
>
> Refers back to (1) which reads
>
> (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person
> who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer
> program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively
> controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole
> purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program
> that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently
> created computer program with other programs, and that have not
> previously been readily available to the person engaging in the
> circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and
> analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.
>
> What /computer program/ do you say you have "lawfully obtained the right to use"

That's my point exactly.  Since when is the use of a free web site or
the content obtained from that web site covered under any sort of fair
use?

I don't think any more of Hulu's decision than anyone else here, I
just don't get this perception of some legal right to use a web site
any way you want just because it's there.

Tom