[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Feb 27 03:05:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:34:53AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/27 <jarpublic at gmail.com>
>

> > I thought that the opengl renderer wouldn't work in .21 because of
> > some bug in the nvidia drivers. I still get the problem where things
> > work fine for the first video I play but subsequent videos will just
>
> have a black screen when I use the opengl renderer. Do those patches
> > make it so that you can use the opengl renderer or do the newer
>

> This is an issue that Mark's opengl patches fix : it forces to use OpenGL
> 1.2... The bug occur when you use OpenGL 1.3
>
> This is discussed in this thread:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111308
>
> beta
> > nvidia drivers address this issue? Also is there any quality
> > improvement by using opengl or is it just a matter of offloading
> > computation but yielding the same result?
> >

> the new opengl hardware accelerated deinterlacers are much better than those
> that comes with the default 0.21.
>
> Those OpenGL fixes have been merged with trunk BTW in December 08

Odd, as I am runing trunk from mid January, but I am getting the black
screen.   Perhaps I will update next week to see if it improves.

I am also considering getting a PCI vdpau card for my front end, which
only has one pci and one agp slot.  (The pci is occupied by a pvr-150
but them's the breaks.)

Right now you can get 8400gs, 8500gt and 9400gs in PCI form, it seems.
I notice the GPUs in these are not very good, lower in power than the
7600gs and 7600gt units I currently have, which seems a shame to
"downgrade" the GPU (in power, not revision) to get the better interlacing.