[mythtv-users] "Fast" wireless options?

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Thu Feb 26 09:57:47 UTC 2009

Paul Gillingham schreef op 26-2-2009 10:14:
> I can second that. I have four HomePlug AV powerline devices.
>
>  http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLA-401-PowerLine-HomePlug-Ethernet-Adapters/dp/B0012NRYY4
>
> Bought from Amazon for £50 per twin pack (prices very hugely so hunt
> around for a good deal). I don't have any numbers but I can now stream
> (two high bitrate) SD streams without any problems, wheras I could
> not with 802.11g. I have only tested one HD stream at a time so far. My
> NFS mounts are also noticeable more responsive.
>
> Setup is literally plug and play.

Those homeplugdevices can have the same problems as the wireless option.
It depends heavily on the quality of the wiring in your house and
switching on a TV, fridge, microwave or whatever can sometimes drop your
signal or reduce bandwidth. This is caused by older equipment that
doesn't have filters to prevent fluctuations. Besides that it's possible
to sometimes get your neighbours signal if your main fuse isn't properly
isolated from the net, so encryption is advisable there as well.

In Europe having a draft-N router on the 5 GHz-band should help some
fluctuations, but this advatage will probably fade over time depending
on your livingsituation.

If there's at least a possibility to use wired, I'd advise to use that.
If Cat5(e) is to thick to use, you could use POF(a thin optic fibre
which can be used to substitue the ethernet cable, main disadvantage is
tight bends, then it can not be used.) and if there's no other option
draft-N on 5 GHz-band would probably do.

Regards,

Jos