[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 00:15:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:17:18AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2009/2/26 Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com<brad%2Bmyth at templetons.com>
>> >

>> > The description of bob 2x at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
>> > differs from this but I suspect it is wrong.  I thought that box 2x
>> > displayed at 60 frames/second showing the current field every other
>> > line mixed with the previous field in alternate lines, like a TV with
>> > 1/30th second persistence does.
>> >

>> Here is a good page to start from:
>> http://www.100fps.com/
>>
>> Bob is also known as "progressive scan"
>
> Yeah, I have read that page but I did not realize that Myth did
> the really stupid bob -- which I presumed would cause a jittery
> image as things moved up and down, and thought it did one of the
> better ones such as a bob and weave.

Actually, Myth's BOB was awesome with my old interlaced TV.  Combine
it with a 540p60 modeline, and the net result was the TV thinking it
was being fed 1080i.  Result was the TV doing the deinterlacing --
which at the time it could do much better than any method Myth had.

This got around the problem with nVidia's drivers not being to produce
a correct interlaced output.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.