[mythtv-users] Happauge HVR-1800 . . . latest opinions?

Brian Steele steele.brian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:37:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
> Because of this, I'm thinking of replacing the analog card with a
>
> Happauge HVR-1800
>
> (Huh, that pasted text came out as big bold text. Anyway.)
>
> This card has an analog and a digital tuner.
>
> Has anyone out there had a chance to really exercise it?
>
> * General quality?
> * Can it capture both analog and digital simultaneously?
> * Any gotchas when it comes to integration into MythTV?

The HVR-1800 is a PCI-express x1 card, so it won't be a direct
replacement for either of the cards you mentioned.

I have one of these cards.  I've only gotten it to capture analog
successfully one time in Myth, and it stopped working after a reboot.
All the other captures were garbled video or green screen.  The analog
part of the driver for this card is definitely not ready for
prime-time and from everything I've read on the linux tv drivers lists
it seems that it has only really been tested against tvtime.

On the other hand, the digital tuner is rock solid and I haven't had
any issues with it.  If you do get this card and manage to get the
analog portion working, you will be able to capture both analog and
digital simultaneously.  Let me know if you succeed.

If you are really replacing the PVR-150 in a PCI slot, get an
HVR-1600.  I have one of those as well and I am able to capture both
digital and analog simultaneously in myth.  The only issue with the
HVR-1600 is that the first analog capture after bootup doesn't work
right.  I setup a script to do analog capture for 5 seconds before
starting mythbackend to avoid this.