[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Feb 23 17:09:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 23:32 -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> Well, I am afraid my settings are different than yours for sure.
>

> The command nvidia-settings -1 TVOverScan[TV-0]=0 will work from the
> command line
> if executed from the TV and makes my desktop very small.  It doesn't
> work when executed from another screen on a dual screen system
> although I am sure there is a way to direct it there.
>

> There is a slider in the graphical nvidia-settings and it seems that
> my setup is using .nvidia-settings-rc to store this setting as the
> other place I put it quit working when I went to the dual display
> setup.
>

> The only suggestion I have at this point is to try an older driver and
> see if that works.   It may have been removed by the driver in the
> same way the xorg.conf version went away in June.
>

> I am not going to try a newer driver because I don't want to break my
> system. In fact, i don't think I will ever upgrade anything on that
> box :)
>

> I hope this helps but I have my doubts.
>

> Allen

In the doc for nvidia 180.29 it says that TVOverScan is off be default
which means no _increase_ in the video size. If the docs are correct
then TVOverScan is only used to increase the image size not decrease it.
By default it is set to 0.0 or Off so that no overscan occurs.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/180.29/README/chapter-16.html

If you are using any sort of digital connection (DVI, HDMI) TVOverScan
most likely will have no effect.

Cheers,
James