[mythtv-users] Screen Blanking

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 22 02:51:04 UTC 2009

Per Jørgensen wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> David Whyte wrote:

>>> I upgraded my mythbuntu 7.10 box by apt-get dist-upgrades on the
>>> weekend to 8.04.  Everything went quite nicely, except I too had a
>>> problem whereby the FEs would randomly decide that they want to blank
>>> screen and they wouldn't come back to life.  Nothing from a keyboard,
>>> SSH, or the remote.  (I too have Intel chipsets, these machines being
>>> Aopen MP915-P and MP915-X machines).
>>>
>>> I have done plenty of head scratching and last night just decided to
>>> do a clean install of mythbuntu 8.04 on one of them.  So far, so good.
>>>  I managed to leave it on the menu overnight and this morning when I
>>> turned the TV on, the screen was blank.  Pressed the remote button and
>>> the screen came alive and I was back at the menu.  I have left the FE
>>> switched on today and will probably leave it another full day, but if
>>> all goes well, I will just clean install all my other FEs too!
>>>
>>> This screen blanking seems to be a common problem on this list and on
>>> the mythbuntu forums, but one that has no clear fix.  I hate not
>>> knowing why something is broken (since I am never know if it is
>>> actually fixed) but I have had such a crap weekend because of this
>>> upgrade that if this re-install fixes it, I am happy :P
>>
>> I had a similar problem with a fedora8 install. The machine seemed to
>> go into a deep suspend state: the fan continued to run as if the box
>> was up, but the motherboard was effectively dead: no ssh access and no
>> reaction to the keyboard or mouse.
>>
>> I ended up adding the following to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
>>
>> /usr/bin/xset -d :0 s noblank
>> /usr/bin/xset -d :0 s off
>> /usr/bin/xset -d :0 -dpms
>>
>> I'm not sure whether the first two don't do the same thing. And I not
>> sure that the last doesn't do what the first two do! But it works. In
>> addition I have all suspend/blank etc times in the ServerFlags section
>> of xorg.conf set to "0" and the DPMS option in the Monitor section.
>>
>> Next step will be to actually figure out what the 'acpi=' stuff on the
>> kernel command line does!
>>
>> Geoff
>>

> Well - Not shure if this is the problem.
> But You're saying running on Intel - Which have problems with the
> graphiccards - I have several Asus EEE B202 with Intel and they doing
> the same thing when screen is blanc.
> I haven't figure out a solution yet for the problem.- Unless I change
> from DVI output to VGA output - Then my blancing stops.
> But switching back to DVI or HDMI the blancing come back at once !

The man page for xset is frustrating. It says to use xset -d 'display'
but does not describe how to determine what the 'display' format is. And
nor does the man page for 'X'. It appears to require a format of '0:0'
but could require '0:0.0' or ':0.1' or even '0:01.0. I *think* that the
different hardware outputs are designated by the last digit.

It *may* be that you  need to run 'xset -d :0.01.X -dpms' where the X is
  a number from 0 to 3 or 4 or however many physical outputs your box
has.  I am guessing about this based on little bits of things I have
read here and there and the fact that you get different results
depending on the physical output used.

Geoff