[mythtv-users] rsync deleted source and destination while moving recordings to a new drive

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Feb 20 12:56:32 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/20 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
>> I believe --del means delete any files from target directory that
>> aren't present in the source directory, so unless you'd cleaned
>> out the source, I'm surprised you lost files from the target.
>> (Sorry, I realise this doesn't help really).
>>

> No, --del is equivalent to --delete-during which is just the default for rsync.

But --delete-during is a variant of --delete which deletes files
from the target directory that aren't present in the source directory,
as I said... I think.

> No files are deleted from the source in any ways when you use --del.

Yeah that's right. Just deletes files from the target.

But the OP said he did the transfer in two stages. If he had deleted
things from the source between the two transfers then rsync would
make the same deletions in the second transfer.

P.