[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:13:22 UTC 2009

>> What I don't understand is what Hulu is hoping will happen instead.  Do
>> they really think the wave of the future is people huddled around computer
>> monitors, with a keyboard and mouse, to watch content?  Or are they hoping
>> to spin off their own STB, to get another revenue stream?

Well, NBC made Hulu to compliment TV.  They found a way to take
material they already own/produced and get some more revenue with it
on a different screen (computer).  What they don't want is this new
method cutting into the primary revenue stream.  Digital
Downloads/Streams will not take over the standard method of Moves/TV
(DVD, Blu Ray, Cable, Sat, OTA) for some time because the studios are
not comfortable with the technology yet.  They dont want the "new
thing" taking people out of what they are comfortable with.  Instead
they are experimenting.  Boxee puts this content on the TV. So many
people may stop cable and just use Boxee...

Its really not that big of a deal.  90% of the material on Boxee can
be recorded on a PC with a $20 Tuner and antenna + 100 times better
quality...HEY this is the MythTV mailing list for goodness sake!

--
Mitchell