[mythtv-users] Leaving...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 18 05:03:48 UTC 2009

On 02/17/2009 08:32 PM, Matthew McClement wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> What is the deal with plain text anyway?
> HTML provides no benefit to a mailing list environment.
>
> Instead HTML can break digests, is hard to strip out in a consistent and
> valid automated manner(for archiving), enjoys an uneven spectrum of
> support across various mailers, can fall foul of spam filters, bloats
> messages(you're sending ~60% more as both HTML and plain text mails are
> sent as separate mime parts) and leads to bad quoting habits(original
> text in black and responses in different colours appears to be a
> favourite). And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are
> more faults that others could think of.

And the specific usage of HTML is completely non-standard across MUA's,
which means that in threads where there are multiple levels of quoted
text, the flow becomes unintelligible/attributions are mangled/...

Fortunately, there /is/ a standard for plain text--though that hasn't
stopped some people with overly-flexible MUA's from breaking said standard.

Mike