[mythtv-users] Should I Upgrade Frontend from AMD 3200+ to AMD X2 3800+ (DualCore) ?

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Tue Feb 17 17:19:55 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2009 23:07:35 Ben Coleman wrote:
>
> Depending on how good a price you can get on the X2 I'd do it. If nothing
> else, each core will be faster than your present one. This assumes your mobo
> will support the X2.
>
> Socket 939 is a dead end, the mobos are very hard to find anymore, and the RAM
> will not work in the AM2 boards (they need DDR2, 939 uses DDR).

I, unfortunately, have socket 939 in my mythbox. I looked online briefly
a while back to see what going from the single core I currently have to
a dual core would cost me. I was not impressed. It was almost cheaper to
buy a new MB, proc, and RAM than it was to just buy one of the
processors. So if you actually managed to find a good price, I'd say go
for it!
> Even the X2 3800+ is not fast enough to play back high bitrate h264 without
> VDPAU, and would probably be marginal for HD MPEG2.
>
> If you have a PCIe slot, I'd put a VDPAU capable video card into it. If your
> mobo is AGP then you can't do that, and the mobo is coming to the end of its
> life.

I'm sure this question has been asked about 1,000 times already on the
list, but I throw it out there since it was brought up. Can you
recommend a good low cost PCIe video card that support VDPAU. I don't
really care about gaming features (though full support for whatever
fancy OpenGL menus 0.22 will support would be nice) as this box is fully
dedicated to MythTV. As I mentioned in another message on this thread,
my machine is stressing when I ask it to play HD content right now so
anything that help it out would be nice (I currently have a 6800 GS card).

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us