[mythtv-users] mythtv backend restarts every night at midnight!?

Ben Coleman arrikhan_mail at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 17 06:40:28 UTC 2009

William wrote:
> Ben Coleman wrote:
>> Ma Begaj wrote:

>>> MythTv will not restart your box under any circumstances  if it
>>> records at the moment or if it should start recording in few
>>> moments/minutes.
>>>
>>> Your restarting is coming from some other application. Check your
>>> cronjobs (cronjob -l).
>>>
>> Yeah, that covers it. I forget about THAT option. I just checked the
>> daily directories and /etc/crontab and couldn't find anything.
>>
>> @daily /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart #Mythtv Backend Restart
>>
>> I assume this is kicking in at midnight.
>>
>> Thanks .. !
>>
> I find that I need to reboot my system daily or it will lock up
> starting a recording at some random time. From reading the archives it
> appears this is a common problem that for some reason is extremely
> difficult to pin down. My solution was to modify someone else's script
> to reboot my system. Once triggered, the script checks to see if any
> recordings are in process before rebooting and if there are will sleep
> and poll until the system is free and then reboot. Commflag and
> transcode jobs will restart themselves after the reboot. I am not able
> to get to the myth system right now but if you need it, I will post
> the script later.
>
> William
I only restart mythbackend nightly, no reboot. Never have problems in
general with the backend as a result (using myth 0.20 and debian etch)
and find it VERY stable performing this task.

I moved my @daily to target 4.30am daily. In Australia, NOTHING airs at
this time of value. I'm not into INFOmercials :) ... so I have the
luxury of doing it then. Would be nice to have a script that checks for
free 10 min block and perform an action (such as restart/reboot) to
avoid those just in case scenarios.

Thanks for the offer though... I find the abundance (and overwhelming
email) of support through this mailing list fantastic, and I can only
sympathize with those that still only scan forums for this information
as the ones I used to haunt lacked the experienced crew I find here.

BC.