[mythtv-users] mythtv backend restarts every night at midnight!?

William william_munson at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 11:43:38 UTC 2009

Ben Coleman wrote:
> Ma Begaj wrote:
>> 2009/2/16 Ben Coleman <arrikhan_mail at yahoo.com.au>:
>>
>>> Does anyone know where controlled restarts of mytthv come from? I bootup my
>>> backend box and it kicks off the mythbackend script ... as per task below.
>>> I'm running .20 at the moment.
>>>
>>> At midnight every night, it restarts, impacting anything being recorded
>>> through this time, by starting a second recording of the same show from
>>> midnight onwards, and obviously stopping the original one.
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
>>> --pidfile /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid
>>>

>> MythTv will not restart your box under any circumstances  if it
>> records at the moment or if it should start recording in few
>> moments/minutes.
>>
>> Your restarting is coming from some other application. Check your
>> cronjobs (cronjob -l).
>>
> Yeah, that covers it. I forget about THAT option. I just checked the
> daily directories and /etc/crontab and couldn't find anything.
>
> @daily /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart #Mythtv Backend Restart
>
> I assume this is kicking in at midnight.
>
> Thanks .. !

I find that I need to reboot my system daily or it will lock up starting
a recording at some random time. From reading the archives it appears
this is a common problem that for some reason is extremely difficult to
pin down. My solution was to modify someone else's script to reboot my
system. Once triggered, the script checks to see if any recordings are
in process before rebooting and if there are will sleep and poll until
the system is free and then reboot. Commflag and transcode jobs will
restart themselves after the reboot. I am not able to get to the myth
system right now but if you need it, I will post the script later.

William