[mythtv-users] Strange VDPAU error

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:24:01 UTC 2009

2009/2/16 Paulin <paulin at spextreme.com>:
> Well tonight something strange started happening with myth playback.
>
> The frontend during playback of two differnt shows stopped in the middle and
> showed the Recordings display with the error "Serious error during playback"
> Or something close to that.

> The log show the following
>
> 2009-02-15 22:25:44.397 VDPAU Error: DISPLAY PRE-EMPTED. Aborting playback.
> 2009-02-15 22:25:44.398 VDPAU Error: Error at util-vdpau.cpp:1124 (#2, The
> display was pre-empted, or a fatal error occurred.)

> So is this
> 1. A problem with my configuration or build (using trunk 19992)
> 2. A known issue with VDPAU or should I report one
> 3. A known issue with myth VDPAU support or should I report one

Realistically, it could any combination of your system setup, a VDPAU
bug or mythtv's implementation of VDPAU.

You can get more background on preemption from:-

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vdpau/doxygen/html/group__display__preemption.html

Is there anything on your system that might be triggering it?

Given nvidia's description, I can't see it really being a mythtv issue
in the first place. What mythtv is missing at the moment, however, is
the ability to completely re-initialise vdpau when it does happen.
That will come - just not sure when.

Regards

Mark