[mythtv-users] I've lost 1 gig of ram

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Mon Feb 16 00:42:45 UTC 2009

Mike Holden wrote:
> I've been playing with a similar issue for a while now, but still not
> found a solution.
>
> The problem for me is that only 2Gb of memory is seen, even though there
> is 4 or 6Gb installed (usually 4, but as a test I added an extra 2gb
> stick). So rather than losing half a gig or a gig, I am losing 2 or 4 gig
> :-(
>
> System is Fedora 9, 64 bit. Mobo is an Asus P5B. Memory is 2 x DDR2-800
> 2Gb sticks. Memory remap is enabled in the bios. If I go into bios setup
> at boot, and go into the system info screen, it correctly shows the amount
> of memory on board (i.e. 4 or 6gb).
>
> When I boot up, the top of the Grub screen shows the memory available and
> this shows max as 2gb.
>
> I have another system on a different mobo, but otherwise quite similar
> basic hardware and the same OS, and that shows the full available memory
> in both the grub boot screen and the O/S (i.e. 3 gig or so).
>
> I updated the bios version when I installed the system, but it is no
> longer the most recent version. If I get no other solutions, I will try
> updating that and see if that helps.
>
> The system is struggling a bit with only 2 gig available, as this is MBE,
> plus desktop and other stuff as well, so the extra memory would make a big
> difference. I'm swapping sometimes on this box, which gives some
> sluggishness, which isn't good :-(
>
> Any idea what is wrong?
> --
> Mike Holden
>
> http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
> items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts

Here we go again, replying to my own post :-)

Bit of weirdness is that if I __disable__ memory remapping option in the
bios, then I get 3Gb of memory available within Linux. I thought it was
supposed to be the other way round?

When I get chance I will try adding another stick of memory and see if
that gets made available to Linux as well. Will require a shutdown of MBE
and SBE, so may be a while yet!