[mythtv-users] MythTV box power usage

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Sun Feb 15 19:26:32 UTC 2009

On 15 Feb 2009 at 8:11, Allen Edwards wrote:

> I will add another point.

> I have an ASUS M3A with an AMD 5400+ CPU, 2 HD, a 6200 video card and
> a 80+ power supply and take 85 watts at idle.  I leave it on.  I would
> love to have a lower power draw but want the TV to go on when it is
> turned on. WAF a big deal here.

Another data point.

My temporary backend while I was setting up a replacement for my old ailing
backend was a p3-1ghz (asus terminator), everything onboard, but with a PVR-
500, and a PVR USB2 tuner, would draw about 45-50 watts idle and go up
another 10-20 watts under load.  Wasn't fast enough for using as a frontend
but worked fine recording multiple concurrent shows and streams to my mvpmc
front ends.

Given my new box generates a significant amount of heat, let alone the
electrical usage, I am seriously thinking about using the asus terminator as
the primary backend.

If it wasn't for the power usage of the USB PVR units, I'd consider a mac min
with 3 usb pvr's.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting