[mythtv-users] MythTV box power usage

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:21:53 UTC 2009

> I have the cheapest computer I could buy from Frys:
> It has a Celeron D 3.2Mhz  CPU in it with 1GB ram, 2 HD's and a fanless
> NVIDIA GeForce 7200GS graphics card. [I shutter to think about the
> efficiency of that power supply...]
The cpu is a pretty bad choice for power. I mean its based on one of
the most power hungry cores that exist.

> My computer alone takes 120 watts idle and goes up to approx 140 when
> transcoding, commflagging, watching HD, etc.

My core2 quad 9550 system (not just for myth this is my main pc at
home) with 3 drives spinning (out of 7 in the box) and Kworld 115
tuner card hits around 95W to 100W at idle and 130W under full load.