[mythtv-users] DVB Card missed on power up but not reboot?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 06:14:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> My backend machine is a Dell 4600 2.8 Ghz with three pcHDTV HD-5500
> cards.  I'm running Gentoo with a 2.6.27 kernel and udev 124.
>
> On the whole, the backend works flawlessly, but I have one annoying
> issue.  Almost every time I have to power the system up from a
> shutdown, it only recognizes two of the three HD-5500 cards, and not
> necessarily the same two, so I don't think it's an issue with any
> specific card or PCI slot.  Subsequent rebooting always sees all three
> without fail.
>
> I've sort of assumed that it was a mother board or BIOS fluke that I
> may not be able to do anything about.  I'm not sure whether or not
> udev might have something to do with it.  When it misses the cards I
> can see it immediately by doing "dmesg | grep DVB" once the machine
> comes up, as I don't see all three (0, 1, and 2).
>
> Any idea what might cause that?

I used to have something similar, but I think it was that they
wouldn't always come up after a reboot but always after a cold-start.
It should be in the archive here (and I will do a search of my GMail
later on when I get 5 minutes), but it was to do with the order that
certain kernel modules were loading.  I think I fixed it by adding a
line to my rc.local or something, but like I say, I will double check
soon.

Cheers,
Whytey