[mythtv-users] PVR-150 Card - NTSC *and* PAL?

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Sat Feb 14 13:40:35 UTC 2009

On 15/02/09 12:26 AM, "Carl Fongheiser" <carlfongheiser at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am looking at taking the plunge to record Foxtel here in Australia now my
>> Myth system is finally stable and doing the right thing. I found there are a
>> ton of these cards on ebay.com. I just wanted to check that a card from the
>> US can actually receive in PAL format as well before I go buying one. I ask
>> this question because 1 card I looked at had this:
>>
>> Graphics Resolution:           720 x 480 NTSC D1
>>                               720 x 576 PAL D1
>>                               352 x 240 NTSC MPEG-1
>>                               352 x 288 PAL MPEG-1
>>
>> Any clarification would be very much appreciated.
>
> The digitizer portion can handle either NTSC or PAL.  It's the tuner
> that varies by region.  If you're going to feed it composite or
> S-Video, you're in good shape.
>
> Carl Fongheiser
Ah, OK, thanks...

So, I would be feeding it with a signal out of a Foxtel satellite box via
the VCR output to the card via S-Video (adapter cable). I am not totally
sure if that is right as I know nothing about these cards having only ever
had DVB-T cards to date. I assume doing it this way would not require the
actual tuner side of the card. Maybe some of our Australian members who are
recording Foxtel could set me right on this.

Cheers
Bruce