[mythtv-users] Evo Smart Console

Stackpole, Chris CStackpole at barbnet.com
Thu Feb 12 22:35:08 UTC 2009

Disclaimer: Sorry if this subject strays a bit Off Topic. I know it
isn't 100% Myth related but if I can use this as a new HD frontend for
my MythTV setup, I just might buy one soon. Just want to quiz the Myth
community a bit.

Recently, my main Ubuntu gaming computer broke (bad MB). Yes! Linux
gaming! I know it isn't the norm but I actually like and prefer a lot of
the games in the Ubuntu repo's...

Anyway, I had been looking at doing an upgrade to that system for a
while and I have been keeping my eye on news circulating around the EVO
Smart Console [1]. There are several reasons why it caught my eye. From
the fact it is open source to the fact that they advertise full support
of several open source games I play already to the
they-do-the-updates-and-I-don't-have-to-worry-about-broken-packages-and-
video-drivers aspects of the gaming. So I started digging in the specs a
bit more and found this [2]. It can record and playback 1080p content! I
know it is 'expensive' at 700$ but if I can get the gaming console I
want AND replace my aging MythTV-SD-only frontend with one of these,
700$ isn't so bad. Even if I don't add this as a slave-backend to record
HD content with, I should be able to use this as my primary "live TV"
experience right?

So my question (and reason for posting) is this, has anyone looked at
these in the Myth community? I did a few Google searches and found
people wondering and speculating about it, but I have not found anyone
who has said 'Yes. I have tried and it does/doesn't work well with
MythTV'. You can get either the Fedora installation or their EVO Mirrors
version of Linux. I don't know if the Mirrors will work with Myth, but I
think it is a fair assumption the Fedora version should, correct?

If anyone does have one, how happy are you with it? Have you tried Myth
backend/frontend with it? How well does it handle games? It is my
understanding that they have open source games and paid-for games, how
many (are they advertising just the few they have or are there as many
as there are in the Ubuntu repos?)? Is the quality good on the paid-for
games? How quiet is the device? How user friendly is it?

I wonder if their rebate[3] service discount (upto 350$ back) would work
for people who are looking to actively develop/maintain/test MythTV on
it...

Just curious.
Thanks!
~Stack~