[mythtv-users] Track down unstable hardware?

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:20:26 UTC 2009

I think I tracked it down the problem with memtest86. The standard test pass
just fine, but you can select a special test called a 'bit fade test'. From
what I can tell it writes to the whole memory then waits for 90 minutes and
reads again. My system failed the bit fade test with thousands of errors. I
suppose this could be because of power supply or bad memory. The memory is
some specialized rambus ECC memory that would cost $100 to replace. Or I
could move it all into a new case for $100. I specced out a new faster,
smaller, more efficient system with more storage for $300. I am just going
to go with new system. I got a micro-atx motherboard with an nvidia 8300
chipset so I will be ready for HD and VDPAU when I make that switch. Thanks
for all the help.