[mythtv-users] New spdif setup suggestions

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:57:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can someone who has gotten HDMI audio to work help out here with the version
>> numbers required as a minimum on alsa and nvidia drivers to get HDMI audio
>> working?
>> Specifically, I just upgraded alsa and have version 1.0.16.  Is this good
>> enough for HDMI?
>> Why did anyone have to upgrade the nvidia driver?
>> I am trying to put together a wiki for digital sound that works and I don't
>> have HDMI so there is a limit on what I can test.
>> Thanks for the help.
>
> Sorry Allen, i've been meaning to go through each post here and reply
> where i can.  i haven't had time when i get home at night lately. :)
>
> i have HDMI audio working with Myth, but apparently not anywhere else...
> i believe you need at least the 1.0.18 ALSA Drivers to get it to work.
>  i went with 1.0.19 since they were available and supposedly stable.
> that cleared up all the popping and static and i get all audio over
> HDMI now (stereo, AC3...).  i don't have an nVidia chipset or video
> card, so no nVidia drivers are installed.  my chipset/video is all
> Intel.
> mobo = Asus P5E-VM HDMI, different than yours only in that it's Intel
> instead of AMD i believe.  we have the same sound chip/processor,
> Realtek 88XX or similar.
>
> i'll try to log on tonight and look over your wiki posting and let you
> know if it deviates from what is working for me and i'll see if i can
> try out your settings as well.
>
> do you have audio (SPDIF or HDMI) working with mplayer, xine, or at
> the OS level?  i haven't had the cycles to get this working, but would
> like to eventually.
>
> --
> Andrew Close

I actually have not tried to get audio out of mplayer as the box is
strictly a MythTV player.  I will try that today when time permits.
With the new setup and the asound.conf script there is a chance.
Perviously, I used the setup without any asound.conf file.  I like
this new setup better for reasons of support for non-myth audio.  It
would be a good thing to test.  I think you know I do not have HDMI on
the M3A MB.

Allen