[mythtv-users] Radeon Xpress 1250, usable with Myth?

Greg Newton greg.newton at exemail.com.au
Thu Feb 12 07:32:45 UTC 2009

2009/2/12 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> I just picked up an Acer Aspire M3100 for $50 at the local Circuit City
> liquidation, including a 17" LCD monitor, so I figure it was a decent deal.
> It has no hard drive, but boots and runs Knoppix, so I guess I'll put a drive
> into it.
>
> Biggest problem is it has  Radeon Xpress 1250 graphics, with an HDMI output.
>
> I have always stuck with nVidia graphics, it seems to play better with Myth
> than the ATI stuff.
>
> I checked the archives, and didn't find anything specific to this graphics
> hardware working with Myth, one way or another, though there were some
> seemingly unrelated questions.
>
> Anyone have experience running Xpress 1250? I'm thinking of trying to use this
> machine for a F/E. The X2 5600+ should have the horsepower to play 1080i
> without VDPAU (no VDPAU with ATI anyway), but I'd really like it if I could
> get it to play HD-PVR recordings.
>
> I have an 8400 I could drop in the box, I guess, as I know the nVidia drivers
> will work OK.
>
> If nothing else $50 was a decent price for the monitor, or for the 4GB of RAM
> in the machine, so I can't complain no matter what.

I'd recommend dropping the 8400 in - I have a gigabyte mobo with the
Radeon X1250 (not the same thing) and couldn't get it working
satisfactorily for DVB-T HD (1080p). The open source drivers haven't
yet got video acceleration
(http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature) - the Xpress 1250 is
RS600 in that table (according to wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units)
so textured Xv is "WIP" and textured XvMC is still "ToDo". YMMV -
particularly if the proprietary drivers are any better.

Cheers,
Greg  |;^)