[mythtv-users] Commercial PVR offerings - is MythTvstill competitive ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 10 00:06:57 UTC 2009

On 02/09/2009 06:42 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 06:18:00PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 02/09/2009 05:50 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>>
>>> I for one think that the myth system can be cheaper. That was my reason for
>>> going with it in the beginning. We were paying $20 per month for the cable
>>> dvr.
>>>
>> Completely seriously, why would you opt to use a cable-co-provided DVR
>> for $20/mo instead of getting a good commercial DVR (TiVo) for $12.95
>> (or less) per month?  https://www3.tivo.com/store/plans.do
>>
>     Tivos aren't free.
>
>     That subscription is on top of what you have to pay for the unit.

Ah, yeah, so when you factor in that the hardware has a limited
lifespan, it may actually be more expensive than even a $20/mo cable
company DVR rental.  I.e. even getting the $299/3yr service plan and a
$299 TiVo, you'd pay the equivalent of $16.61/mo over the 3yr period
(ignoring time-value of money) and would /only/ save money if the
hardware lasts/is useful for 30 months or more.

Guess that means the $12.95/mo is what TiVo users are paying for the
same data SD users get for $20/yr.  Nice.

Mike