[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Why can I pretend to change the volume if internal controls are disabled?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Feb 6 20:24:36 UTC 2009

> Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> says:
>> > I'm going to write up a patch to fix this but I wanted to get some
>> > feedback about how to handle the response.
>> > I'm leaning towards #1, but want to hear what the users / devs think.
>> Unmap the "volume button" on your remote from MythTV and map it to you
>> receiver.
> No, I hear what Andrew's saying; note he says "pretend to change" and
> "volume button in Myth."
> In my case, I also disabled MythTV's internal volume controls and
> (very gladly) have used my receiver's volume controls since moving to
> S/PDIF. The internal volume controls' OSD still appears on the
> screen--even if useless--if I push [, ], and | on my wireless
> keyboard, however.
> Andrew, I agree that this is a (very very very minor) bug and one, I'm
> sure, that the developers would welcome a patch for. Go with your urge
> toward option #1; the world doesn't need yet another pop-up reminder.

Please don't change this...

I'm also using S/PDIF output so my volume control does nothing *inside
MythTV* but since I intercept the lirc codes with irexec and use an IR
blaster to change the volume on my receiver I get the best of both worlds
- the volume changes and I see the value on the screen.

Admittedly is not perfect because MythTV and the receiver do get out of
sync but it works for me!!

Robin Gilks