[mythtv-users] Moderately OT...How do you organize your music?

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Feb 6 02:27:02 UTC 2009

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:30:07 -0600
> From: James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Moderately OT...How do you organize your
> 	music?
>
> As the subject states, I'm interested in how you, the myth community,
> organize your music collection.  The reason for this is that I'm having an
> issue with MythMusic.  I have removed all entries in the database
> regarding
> my music collection and rescanned.  After the scan, at the bottom of the
> library list, I see many songs titled as:
>
> mythtv ~ music
>
> It's something like that.  I'm at work right now and don't remember
> perfectly.  The songs do have vaild tags, but MythMusic isn't detecting
> them
> correctly.  Anyway, that got me thinking about music organization.
> Currently, I've just got a music folder and all my music is currently
> under
> that.  There are no folders or anything.  What sucks about my system is
> that
> I have a song that is by the same artist but on two different CDs.  The
> song
> is different on each CD, but I only have one version of it.  I've been
> thinking of doing a big music re-organization (cuz I just have THAT much
> free time) and I wanted to know the best way to do it.  Do you have a
> music
> folder, then under that folders by artist name, then album name?  In the
> album folder, do you name the songs "track# - title"?  What about songs
> where you don't know the artist's name?  What about CDs that have various
> artists like the "Now That's What I Call Music" series?  Or something like
> the "Ministry of Sound" CDs that are put out by them, but have different
> artists on different songs?  What about soundtracks?  What I like about my
> flat system, is that I can browse directly to a name and find all songs
> right there without having to remember a specific title.  If I went that
> route, I'd have to traverse many folders just to find a specific song.  Is
> that just something you deal with?  Is there a better way?  I wonder if I
> go
> the folder route, if MythMusic will still give me the above error.
> Any/all
> opinions are welcome.
>
> Jim

I organize mine by directory - each directory a different genre, or, in
the case of rock, by age - one directory for 60s-70s, another for
80s-90s-00s, and the filenames and tags are by artist and song title
within each directory.

I've kinda been able to get MythMusic to use playlists based on this
system, but it's not anywhere near perfect.  For some reason they come up
sorted by track number sometimes...ugh.

Nirvana for me, both for MythMusic and Amarok, would be to have "smart"
playlists, each of which corresponds to one of these directories on disk,
so I could add new tunes to the directories and have them picked up
automatically.  I have several playlists now which include two, three or
more directories, and it's a pain having to reconstruct these every time I
add new music.

iTunes absolutely sucks if you try to get it to organize music by
directory...that's what made me get rid of it long ago for putting music
on my iPod.  Amarok does it very well, though as I said above, it would be
great if it could do "smart" lists.

Bob