[mythtv-users] Moderately OT...How do you organize your music?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Thu Feb 5 16:45:56 UTC 2009

James Oltman schreef:
> As the subject states, I'm interested in how you, the myth community,
> organize your music collection.  The reason for this is that I'm
> having an issue with MythMusic.  I have removed all entries in the
> database regarding my music collection and rescanned.  After the scan,
> at the bottom of the library list, I see many songs titled as:
>
> mythtv ~ music
>
> It's something like that.  I'm at work right now and don't remember
> perfectly.  The songs do have vaild tags, but MythMusic isn't
> detecting them correctly.  Anyway, that got me thinking about music
> organization.  Currently, I've just got a music folder and all my
> music is currently under that.  There are no folders or anything.
> What sucks about my system is that I have a song that is by the same
> artist but on two different CDs.  The song is different on each CD,
> but I only have one version of it.  I've been thinking of doing a big
> music re-organization (cuz I just have THAT much free time) and I
> wanted to know the best way to do it.  Do you have a music folder,
> then under that folders by artist name, then album name?  In the album
> folder, do you name the songs "track# - title"?  What about songs
> where you don't know the artist's name?  What about CDs that have
> various artists like the "Now That's What I Call Music" series?  Or
> something like the "Ministry of Sound" CDs that are put out by them,
> but have different artists on different songs?  What about
> soundtracks?  What I like about my flat system, is that I can browse
> directly to a name and find all songs right there without having to
> remember a specific title.  If I went that route, I'd have to traverse
> many folders just to find a specific song.  Is that just something you
> deal with?  Is there a better way?  I wonder if I go the folder route,
> if MythMusic will still give me the above error.  Any/all opinions are
> welcome.
>
> Jim

This is my tree for a regular album:
 "Artist or Band Name" / "Year - Album" / ("Optional CD Nr"/)  "Track
Nr. Artist Name - Song Title.extension"

Loose songs:
 "Singles" / "Year" / "Year.Week Nr"/ "Artist Name - Song Title.extension"

I've been using this scheme for years, works great for me.

I never need to browse the actual files, btw, always use good old Amarok
1.4 (or any other music player with a library)
I don't really use MythMusic, in my opinion it's not really useful for
big collections.

Greetings,
Jelle De Loecker