[mythtv-users] Moderately OT...How do you organize your music?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:30:07 UTC 2009

As the subject states, I'm interested in how you, the myth community,
organize your music collection.  The reason for this is that I'm having an
issue with MythMusic.  I have removed all entries in the database regarding
my music collection and rescanned.  After the scan, at the bottom of the
library list, I see many songs titled as:

mythtv ~ music

It's something like that.  I'm at work right now and don't remember
perfectly.  The songs do have vaild tags, but MythMusic isn't detecting them
correctly.  Anyway, that got me thinking about music organization.
Currently, I've just got a music folder and all my music is currently under
that.  There are no folders or anything.  What sucks about my system is that
I have a song that is by the same artist but on two different CDs.  The song
is different on each CD, but I only have one version of it.  I've been
thinking of doing a big music re-organization (cuz I just have THAT much
free time) and I wanted to know the best way to do it.  Do you have a music
folder, then under that folders by artist name, then album name?  In the
album folder, do you name the songs "track# - title"?  What about songs
where you don't know the artist's name?  What about CDs that have various
artists like the "Now That's What I Call Music" series?  Or something like
the "Ministry of Sound" CDs that are put out by them, but have different
artists on different songs?  What about soundtracks?  What I like about my
flat system, is that I can browse directly to a name and find all songs
right there without having to remember a specific title.  If I went that
route, I'd have to traverse many folders just to find a specific song.  Is
that just something you deal with?  Is there a better way?  I wonder if I go
the folder route, if MythMusic will still give me the above error.  Any/all
opinions are welcome.

Jim