[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 00:56:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM,  <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also by the time you could complete something like this there will be viable
> alternatives already available in the right price range. The nvidia ION
> platform would fit the bill, and I would bet the price will come into the
> $199 range fairly quickly, especially after there are updates to the Atom or
> Nvidia chips. An ION system could do what you want, but we are waiting to
> see how much they will cost and what form factors they will come in.

Perhaps what is needed is a mythtv frontend "reference design" - in
fact it may be very similar to the ion reference design, but with a
remote. Its something people could build with confidence, knowing its
gonna work.

IMHO its the backend where the true differences are, different tuners
for different markets being the main difference, as well as different
needs/budgets in terms of storage.